May 31, 2006

Watering Guidelines

Healthy grass makes for a beautiful home. Yet many of us (myself included) have never owned a lawn before and must learn how to turn a pile of sod into a beautiful lawn. To make things harder we are now in a drought and must learn how to balance the needs of our landscaping with the requirements of the town’s water restrictions. Over the next few weeks, I’ll share what I’ve learned from various professional sources. If anyone has a specific question, I’ll be happy to research it and post the answer. Remember if you have a question and post it there is a good chance, others need the information too.

KNOW HOW MUCH WATER YOUR GRASS NEEDS.
For the most efficient use of water, you must completely wet the “root zone” of your lawn each time you irrigate. To accomplish this you should water to a depth of 6-10 inches. The best way to see how deep you have watered is to use a “soil probe” which is a sharp stick of metal (or a very long screwdriver). After waiting about an hour after watering your lawn, push the soil probe into the ground. It should pass easily though the wet soil and become hard or impossible to push into the dry soil beneath. Measure the depth of the wet soil and you will then know if you have watered long enough to reach the root zone.

My soil requires ¾ inch of water to reach the root zone of my lawn. I discovered this by placing an empty clean tuna can on my lawn and ran my sprinkler for the usual time of 30 minutes. When I then measured the amount of water in the can, it had reached a depth of ¾ inch. Later I used the soil probe to determine I had reached the required depth to soak the root zone of my lawn.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Monday, July 03, 2006 10:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 2:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home